Friday, February 13, 2009

The Idea of "Privilege."

Blog Assignment 1 & Personal Reflection 3

Blog Assignment 1--
Before watching the Tim Wise video it's safe to say that I had never really thought about the idea of privilege. I didn't know the term existed and I certainly wasn't aware that it was an "issue" in our society.

The idea of privilege seems so broad to me right now, my brain is still trying to digest the information. I agree, and now realize, that privilege is prevalent in our society. I don't think it's right, fair, all of the other synonyms that sum up that feeling. I think it's a perfect example of how our society still needs to be tweaked, changed, molded to treat everyone equal. But, regardless.. call me a pessimist if you must, I think there will always be people with that "ol' boy" attitude and world view.

When thinking of the question: How does the media utilize privilege in media representation, the first thing that automatically pops into my head is television shows. I can only recall one show that I've seen that depicts an "upper-class, rich, black family" and that should would be the one, the only Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. And while I think of this, it makes sense in my head of privilege. We don't think anything of a television show based on an "upper-class, rich, white family." We see this as a norm, nothing special. That to me, is an example of privilege.

It's hard to know how received privileges since I've never been on the other side, so I read another classmates blog who is on the other side, so here are a few:

(Disclaimer: I am a Native American person and a member of the Muscogee Creek Nation. However, I do not look native, at all. So I have never had to deal with people treating me differently because of my skin color.)
  • I can't recall a time I was blatantly ignored in a store. Often I become annoyed at how many times I'm asked "Can I help you look for something?"
  • I don't have to wonder if someone is basing my actions on the color of my skin.
  • I don't have people asking me "what is it like to ___" (fill in a question).
  • My friends don't have to be careful about what they say around me in fear that they might offend me, thus I know them for who they really are.
  • People don't have to change the way they talk to me when they approach me.
  • I don't have to think about how other people are treated better than me in society.
  • I don't have to defend stereotypes about my race.
  • I am never the only person of my race in a room.
Hands down, I strongly believe that society believes in the one drop rule. I don't think that someone who is clearly African American could tell someone that they weren't black, that just wouldn't make sense. I don't think if you were to act black, but you were really white, that you would be presumed as black. Your character may resemble that of a "typical African American" that you have perceived in your mind, but you are still white.

Personal Reflection 3--

I think the reflection question this week totally encompasses the purpose of this class. The responsibility of knowledge is one of our greatest responsibilities as adults. As we get older we learn more about the "world" that we are all inhabitants of. Not only the geography of the world, but how it works, how society works, etc.

The Tim Wise video is a great example of one of those "aha" moments when you realize you've just experienced a grown up experience. As I wrote earlier, I had no idea about the idea of privilege before being exposed to it through the video. I was oblivious that it existed but it made me think and it became evident after I was aware of it.

Through obtaining new knowledge, we must think about how this enlightenment shapes us and the people around us. We then should change our behavior based on our awareness. To know that privilege is alive and kickin' in society makes me think about how people are treated. It then makes me want to become a better person and, although I am only one person on this Earth, I somehow feel that I am decreasing contribution to "privilege."

It is our responsibility to continue to change and mold the society we wish to live in. Without some of the great leaders of our country having this mindset, who knows what we would live in today. I believe that there are many people out there that will never have the opportunity or the desire to open up their eyes about things they don't know about, and I feel sorry for those people.

I hope that from this class I will be able to gain more knowledge of things that as of 4:42 p.m. on this Friday afternoon I am completely oblivious to.

On a side note, I found this to be entertaining. I Googled privilege, here is their definition:
http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&channel=s&hl=en&q=define%3A+privilege&btnG=Google+Search

And... here is Urbandictionary's definition:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=privilege

1 comment:

  1. On your last assignment, let me know if you were able to step out of your box. What do you mean by 'other side'? First step is to be direct in your communication,doing that lessens the chance for mis-communication. I wanted you to take a moment or better yet a day and try to complete the assignment based on your own observations.

    ReplyDelete